Tuesday, June 23, 2009

It's my life...

My dear friend Miss Julie Isa of Tattered Threads has started a very neat thing.. A weekly entry on family.. A way for us to get some history into our blogs. I love the idea of turning all these stories into a book for my family.. So here goes...
This weeks questions:
1. What was your mother's name? Maria Dolores but goes by Lola
Your Father's name? Sergio
Your grandmother's names? Ramona (maternal) & Antonia (paternal)
Your grandfather's names? Francisco (maternal) & Sergio (paternal)
What did you call them? Abuelita and abuelito (Spanish)
2. Do you have brother's and sisters? yes, one brother
What are their names? Arthur
How old were you when they were born? I was six.
Do you remember the first time you saw them? No but I do remember him as a baby.
3. What about your aunts and uncles?I had 7 uncles on my mom's side and 2 aunts. Uncles are as follows: Francisco (Pancho), Carlos (Chivo), Antonio (Seco), Ricardo (Ricas), Lorenzo (Lencho), Jose (Chepe), and Guadalupe (Lupe). Aunts: Josefina and Consuelo (Chelo). On my father's side I have one aunt and one uncle. Uncles Luis Alfredo (Alfredo) and Maria del Carmen (Pame). My grandfather remarried and I have another aunt and uncle. Suzanna (Suzi) and Alejandro (Alex).
Did they play an important part in your growing up? My mother's side plaed a huge role. All my uncles spent time in my life. We lived near most of them until I was about 10. I have memories of bi gfamily gatherings with my cousins. My uncle Pancho is my Godfather. I have lovely memoreis of most of my uncles since they were all very different..The following uncles have passed away in my life time.. Carlos, Ricardo and Antonio. My aunt Josefina was like another mother although time has made us grow apart. My aunt Chelo was in my life when I was a preteen and I remember listening to music at her house in Tijuana on the beach..
Did your family get together much casualy or did you have to travel to spend time together? We always spent time together prior to my grandmother passing. She was truly the glue. After she passed most of the families drifted apart. Now we only see eachother on rare occasions..
On my Father's side of the family we didn't see each other that often since my parents never married. I was lucky to know my grandmother whom I visited fairly often. She would let me watch Spanish black and White movies with her and take me to eat at her favorite Chinese restaurant, The Arizona. My Uncle Alfredo and My Aunt Hilda were my constant link to that side of the family. I would often spend the night, go to the desert or just visit with them. Even now we are close.



No comments:

Post a Comment