Saturday, May 30, 2009

Scones

Sometime this week in the wee hours of the morning I realized I was out of scones.. What would I have with my coffee? I am a girl of my routine and my coffee must have bread.. My usual is scones..
I have the best and easiest recipe for scones this side of England. Or in my case Scotland.. It is a tried and true receipe and I have yet to meet anyone who didn't like my scones.. The recipe is officially called "Scottish Oat Scones".. I, however, have made slight variations to it over the years to make it work for me. The fact that they freeze is another reason these are great scones. I can have a fresh scone every day with just a few mins in the oven..love it.

Ok, back to the recipe.. its 1.5 cups of flour (I use half whole wheat without issues).. 2 cups of Oats (not quick oats). 1/4 cup of sugar, 2/3 cup of butter (soft/room temp), 1/3 cup milk (I use fat free), 1 egg, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt. That is it, the rest is personal choice.. You can do a 1/2 cup of any dried fruit (cranberries, cherries, raisins, etc). I also use one green apple grated fine and drained of juice. Lastly if you want a little crunch, 1/4 cup of your choice of nuts. Don't forget 1 tsp of vanilla is always a good thing..
I literally dump everything. I start with the sugar and the butter in the mixer until creamy. I combine the dry ingredients and then add the dry to the butter mixture. The egg, milk should come in next. after that your add ins.. Now here is the kicker.. No rolling or chilling.. I love my cookie dropper and plop 2 of those full and make a full dozen..
First of all who has time to wait for scones to chill? not me.. Who has time to roll them out, shape into triangles and make them pretty with egg wash? Right..When I want scones I want them in about the same time it takes my coffee to brew.. Is that asking too much? I hope not and thanks to a stand mixer and this fabulous recipe, its not.. Of course like all baking there are some key things to have handy like room temp eggs and butter. Which is why I always have butter and eggs on the counter. You just never know when you want to bake something..
Viola! Here are my scones..

No comments:

Post a Comment