Monday, January 18, 2010

A wet winter weekend...

I don't even know where to start. This weekend was a big bowl of randomness, memories and rain..
Friday night at the quilt shop was the perfect way to start the weekend. It's always good to go to class and catch up while we play with fabric. We had been in dire need of our quilting group and finally we are back into the groove. We started the "spool quilt." As soon as I put a spool together I will share.. In the meantime you can check out Julie's post and her sample spool here. In the words of Miss Julie, quilting makes me happy!
Saturday, our little family loaded up the car with everything we could and headed north to Bakersfield. The road was calling.
The plan was to enjoy the long weekend and celebrate Betty's 35th. Maya was just thrilled at the prospect of spending 3 days with her cousins and bouncing in the jumper. Little did she know she would end up with a black eye/cheek after crashing into her cousin, Jacob. It was heartwrenching to see her in pain and even harder to see the bruise swelling.. But she's 6 and she was eventually asking for another round in the jumper!
Missy has always been a great car baby. She naps, she watches the passing cars, calls out slug bugs and sings her tunes. We still believe in real car trips. We don't believe in TV's in the car. We read, chat and connect. MAG watches the road and plans his route.
The party didn't start until dinner time and before we knew it the dark blanket of stars was all we could see.. I survived a late night that night in the cold. We spent the night commisterating about our lives, husbands, our pets. Missy fell asleep in my arms with a big blanket. As we talked, the bonfire roared and the music soothed us..
On Sunday the winds and rain started. It was destined to be a day indoors. Having not gotten a good nights sleep, we all took little naps throughout the day. We decided we needed something soothing and hot to warm us up on the inside. What could we make with 4 lbs of shrimp? Shrimp SOUP! It wasn't the first thing that came to mind but once we said the word "SOUP" a big smile spread across everyone's face and we all knew it would be the right thing on that cold day.. Betty and I started chopping, washing veggies and sautaing garlic and onions and next thing we knew we had a huge pot of soup simmering on the stove.. It hit the spot..
As soon as we woke up today we knew we'd better get on the road as soon as possible. The rain did not let up and the wind was whipping.. We were on the road by 9:30 and 5 hours later we pulled into our garage.. My hubby the super driver kept us safe and got us home in one piece.. It was a long haul and thankfully we are finally home resting and settling back into our dry house..
Home Sweet Home,

No comments:

Post a Comment