Sunday, December 13, 2009

Book Review: The Calligrapher's Daughter

We picked a book set in Korea.. From the moment I picked up it, I was sucked in. The pace was calming and the story highlighted the fall of the Korean Royal Dynasty to the Japanese.. It was a historical view with life.. It was a story that highlighted the class and gender differences of that period in history. I was amazed, surprised and curious.. I giggled when I saw words in text that I had heard at my friend Katherine's house in my teens.
I really enjoyed the book and the lessons of a culture which was almost wiped out. It was also an amazing contrast to the life we live in this day an age.. To read about women having to walk steps beind a man and relegated to "women's work" always makes me grateful for the blessings of the U.S.A.
The main character was definetely strattling the past and the future. She was raised in a traditional household with a father who was bound and determine to resist anything new and foreign. While her open minded and faithful mother was receptive to education and the opportunity to learn. As much as she looked to the future and hoped to progress, there was no model yet for what that future looked like.. They would have never imagined the transition to modern living outside their family home without the ancestral tombs and lessons to guide them..
Happy Reading,
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment